Previous

Play Ball

Next

Tennis & Bowling

Volleyball was developed in Holyoke, Massachusetts in 1895 by YMCA Director William Morgan who used the German game of faustball as a basis for the new game. The game was subsequently brought to Canada through the YMCA organization. In 1945 Aurora High School had a champion girls volleyball team and after WWII the popularity of volleyball grew tremendously in town. By 1949, Aurora residents were active in volleyball with casual games being played at Town Park and the Tyler Street playground. The organization of these games was aided by the newly established Recreation Commission which was striving to ”make Aurora one of the best organized towns for Recreation in Ontario” (AURORA BANNER JUNE 23, 1949). 
Photos Courtesy of Storm Volleyball
STORM VOLLEYBALL 
Storm Volleyball was established by Bruce Stafford in 1998, originally called Aurora Storm Volleyball Club. Since its modest beginnings with one Bantam girls and one Midget girls team, the organization has grown substantially to have at least one competitive team in each of the Ontario Volleyball Age Divisions for both boys and girls. Currently Storm Volleyball offers two types of programs for athletes: the Competitive REP team and Storm League. Since the 2002/03 season the club has also offered a beach volleyball league which continues to grow. Storm Thunder 12U boys were the first team to win provincially in 2004/2005. The first national championship followed in 2007/2008 with the Storm Avalanche 14U boys winning the top prize. The success of Storm Volleyball can be seen in the consistent award recognition from other community and athletic organizations as well as the increase in annual medals won. Since the 2009/10 season Storm Volleyball has had combined winnings of over 50 medals per year and currently the 2014/15 medal tally has reached a club high of 75 medals!
AURORA LADIES VOLLEYBALL LEAGUE 
The Aurora Ladies Volleyball League was established in 1976 by Pat Anquetil, Nina Giannotti, Viv Seaman and Jan Jones. After much discussion the founders realized that the town was in need of a program that offered an indoor physical activity for women to participate in during the winter months. The growth of the club reveals how strong this need in fact was. In its first year the league had 33 members. The following year the league hired officials from the Ontario Volleyball Association and soon after started to offer workshops taught by university volleyball coaches. By in 1979 the league had grown to include 60 players with a waitlist in place to accommodate the overflow of interest. The league continues to offer women over 18 an opportunity to play recreational volleyball within York Region and will soon be entering its fortieth year of operation.

Previous

Play Ball

Next

Tennis & Bowling