Previous

St. Andrew’s College

Next

Ice Skating & Roller Skating

After the first indoor game was played in Montreal in 1875, hockey quickly became standardized and its popularity soon reached Aurora. Archival records show that in the 1890s, and perhaps even earlier, Aurora residents were forming hockey teams and playing against neighbouring townships. Local games were announced in the newspaper and were played on indoor and outdoor rinks. 
A High School League was formed in early 1910 with teams from schools in Aurora, Newmarket, Bradford and Pickering College. They played for a cup presented by the businessmen of Newmarket. In 1922, the High School girls team combined with the Town ladies team to play against neighbouring teams. A Town League also formed that year with Sisman Shoes, Collis Leather and the Town. This league would later be referred to as the Aurora Industrial League. 
The Aurora Hockey Club was established around the turn of the century and by 1901 had its sights on becoming a member of the Ontario Hockey Association (OHA). The team played for a time in both the OHA and the Metropolitan Hockey League where in 1913 they won the first hotly contested Allan Moore Trophy. In 1920 Aurora lost to Newmarket in an OHA championship game. They did however win the Allan Moore trophy that year and would win again 1921. Along with the trophy, each member of the team was presented with a club bag, gold watch fob, and engraved silver cigarette case.  In 1939 the Aurora British Consols won the OHA Junior C Championships. 
After World War II hockey increasingly became Aurora’s favourite sport. In 1946 the Aurora Lions Midget Hockey Team won OMHA Midget B title. The Aurora Bears formed in the early 1950s and played in the Metro Junior B League and in December 1958 the Aurora Tigers joined the North York Juvenile league. The Tigers and Bears would merge into the Aurora Tigers in the 1960s. 
By 1950, opportunities for the Town’s youth to enjoy the game were first offered through a Town run program. A lack of organization however, led local parents to form the Aurora Minor Hockey Association in the winter of 1954. In 1963 a girls’ hockey house league began coached by Aubrey Holmes, the Chairman of the Recreation Commission and Hockey Coach for St. Andrews College. 
Local enthusiasm for hockey has continued since these early days and currently Aurora is home to multiple hockey clubs and rinks allowing residents of all ages to play year-round.
AURORA MINOR HOCKEY ASSOCIATION
The Aurora Minor Hockey Association (AMHA) was established in the winter of 1954 by a group of hockey parents to further develop what began as a town run league. The first season began in 1955/56 with 100 players, the initial puck was supposed to drop in October however after Hurricane Hazel came through town the arena floor was significantly damaged. Luckily repairs happened fast and the first game was played on December 1st 1955. Currently, the AMHA has between 2-7 teams in each of the tyke, novice, peewee, bantam and midget divisions. The Aurora Tigers are the rep team for the league and play at the Junior A level in the Ontario Junior Hockey League.
CENTRAL YORK GIRLS HOCKEY ASSOCIATION
The Aurora Girls Hockey Association (AGHA) started in the 1993-1994 season after efforts began the previous year to bring girls hockey to the Aurora/Newmarket area. The Panthers were formed with 4 Junior division teams (12 and under) and 4 Senior division (13 to 18) with 120 players. In 1994-1995, the league expanded with Newmarket and Bradford making ice available. Select teams were formed and the following year competitive rep teams formed. The AGHA celebrated a 10th anniversary in 2002-2003 with a name change to Central York Girls Hockey Association and the Aurora Panthers. Since the beginning, the league grew quickly. There are currently almost 1,000 players on 15 rep teams, 30 house league teams, 2 Fundamentals (learn to play) teams and 16 senior teams. The League hosts the Silver Stick Finals and Panther Pride tournaments each season with 120 teams participating. 
YORK OLDTIMERS HOCKEY LEAGUE
Oldtimer hockey was established in 1968 with the creation of the Aurora Church Dodgers who played Sunday mornings in the newly built Aurora Community Centre. The Dodgers were followed by the Old Sweats in 1974, Aurora Oldtimers in 1976 (formerly the Azoics) and the Class of 57 in 1978. In 1975 the York Oldtimers Hockey league was formed with additional teams from neighbouring towns. As time passed, more ice became available and the over 35 division expanded for the 1987-88 season, with other teams from Aurora joining the league. These included the Old Chiefs, Touch of Grey and later on Aurora Rangers, Weasels and Bookends. The over 50 division was established in 1996, the over 60 division in 2000 and the over 70 division in 2008. The league now plays out of Aurora, Richmond Hill, Newmarket and East Gwillimbury and consists of over 450 players organized into 32 teams in 4 age divisions. 
NEWMARKET OLD GUYS HOCKEY LEAGUE (NOGHL) 
The NOGHL was founded in 2007 by a few Aurora men who loved hockey. Originally comprised of 4 teams, the league expanded to 6 teams in 2009, 9 teams in 2013 and now boasts 10 teams with a total membership of 150 local players all over the age of 35. In their younger years, NOGHL members played at various levels including house league, Triple A, college teams, and some at the professional level. Many league members have sons or daughters who play hockey and they also coach in the local minor league programs. The Jokers are the current league champions and have claimed boasting rights for the past three years.

Previous

St. Andrew’s College

Next

Ice Skating & Roller Skating