Joseph Fleury’s legacy began in Aurora in the 1850s when he, and partner Thomas Pearson, established a Blacksmith shop at the corner of Wellington and Temperance Streets. While that partnership did not last, the foundations were laid for an industry that would ultimately change the local landscape. In 1859, Joseph established a new foundry on the same site with his brother Alex that would later become known as the Aurora Agricultural Works. Joseph’s aim was to manufacture cast beam plows which were better suited to conditions in North America. Alex Fleury remained an integral part of this business until 1868 when he left to establish his own foundry in Markham.